Economics and Social Sciences Competitive Entrance Examination (B/L)
Students are selected from a pool of candidates who take exams from the inter-ENS exams. These are the same exams as those in the economics and social sciences entrance exams at ENSAE.
ENSAI admits two categories of students:
- statistical engineers
- INSEE civil servant student statisticians
Around 10 places are granted for the economics and social sciences option.
The "Economics and Social Sciences" option of ENSAI's Economics competitive entrance exam is mainly suited for students coming from Khâgne B/L post-secondary preparatory classes (literature and social sciences), as well as for university candidates who have a background in social sciences or MIASHS.
- statistical engineering students (civilian): no particular conditions apply.
- civil servant student statisticians for INSEE: candidates must meet the conditions for becoming a civil servant, and specifically have either French nationality or that of an EU Member State or a State signatory to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (or Andorra, Switzerland, or Monaco), and enjoy full rights as a citizen (see information about the entrance examinations).
Candidates must also have either a valid schooling certificate (be a registered student) on September 1st of the year for which the examination is organized, to certify that they are in the second year of the preparatory classes for the grandes écoles entrance examinations, or a level III (2nd year post-baccalauréat) title or degree, or qualifications that are recognized as being equivalent to these titles or degrees. Candidates may only take the competitive exam to become an INSEE civil servant three times.
All candidates must have fulfilled any obligations they may have as regards National Service.
Registration for the Economics Competitive Entrance Examination for:
- statistical engineering students (civilian)
- civil servant student statisticians for INSEE
is via the www.concours-bce.com website.
Examination fees for 2017 :
- for statistical engineering students (civilian) : €51. Students receiving a French grant or bursary are exempt.
- for INSEE civil servant student statisticians: free
The exams are identical for statistical engineering students (civilian) and INSEE civil servant student statisticians.
The subjects of the written and oral examinations are based on the programs for the entrance exams for ENS in social sciences (CPGE B/L).
The 4 written exams are taken from the group of inter-ENS social science exams (B/L).
The written compositions in social sciences and mathematics are common to all of ENS.
The written language examination is specific to the entrance exam to ENS Cachan and is is conducted for one of the following languages, chosen by the candidate: German, English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese or Russian.
The written exam with the sociology or economics option is also specific to ENS Cachan.
The mathematics exams are the same as those for the Economics and Social Sciences option entrance examination to ENSAE and take place at ENSAE. Those administering the exams give exercises to the candidates to be completed on the white board. The use of calculators is forbidden.
The oral examinations, as well as the language and economics exams, come from ENS Cachan.
The oral examinations concerning Economics and Foreign Language will take place at ENS Cachan - 61, avenue du Président Wilson 94235 Cachan cedex FRANCE
The oral examinations concerning Mathematics will take place at Ensae - 3, avenue Pierre Larousse 92245 Malakoff cedex FRANCE.
> Competitive Entrance Examination Program (B/L section)
Please refer to the notice regarding entrance examinations to the Ecoles normales supérieures (ENS).
Failure to be present for a test or receiving the grade of 0 eliminates a candidate from the examination.
- ENSAI Admissions Office at +33 (0)2 99 05 32 47 or by e-mail at admission [at] ensai.fr
- BCE website (banque commune d'épreuves), or joint examination bank: www.concours-bce.com
- INSEE examination service at +33 (0)1 41 17 52 05 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
- inter-ENS examination bank by e-mail at email@example.com
- ENS Cachan at +33 (0)1 47 40 20 78 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org